The Nevada Gaming Control Board’s website was down Thursday evening, but it’s unclear whether the site was hacked as messages on Google’s search engine suggested.
A source familiar with the situation said no financial or personal information was disclosed.
Last Thursday, the Nevada Gaming Control Board posted that it had taken down its website, a common tactic used to protect against cyberattacks.
“The Nevada Gaming Control Board (NGCB) became aware earlier this week that its public-facing website had been compromised,” the board announced on X, formerly known as Twitter.
“NGCB technology staff initiated immediate measures to secure the website by taking it offline. The NGCB is working with experts to carefully assess the situation. While we work to restore the entire website, the NGCB is preparing to publish a temporary website for those who wish to access NGCB information and relevant web links.
“Thank you for your patience while we restore the entire website.”
As of Friday morning the site appears to be back up and running.
The Gaming Control Board is a government agency that regulates gaming and enforces state gaming laws. The public-facing website provides board agendas, statistics, casino indexes, regulations and biographical information on oversight committee members and gaming commissioners.
Thursday’s Nevada Gaming Commission meeting was broadcast as scheduled Thursday via the board’s YouTube channel. Commissioners made no mention of the site being down.
Gambling officials are sensitive to cybersecurity breaches, particularly after the state’s largest casino companies — MGM Resorts International and Caesars Entertainment Inc. — were hacked in late summer 2023.
MGM withstood nine days of website downtime, but did not capitulate to ransom demands. MGM has decided to shut down some of its computer systems to prevent them from being compromised by hackers.
Caesars reportedly paid a $15 million ransomware demand, but never missed a beat with the sites down. The company did not confirm that it ever paid a ransom.
The two companies ended up losing millions of dollars in lost bookings and inconveniences, but MGM said it recovered most of the money through insurance.
Contact Richard N. Velotta at email@example.com or 702-477-3893. Follow @RickVelotta on X.